Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Who'd Have Known

When I hear the word "spellbound," I think of fantasy and vampires, or a book I read last summer, or was it Spirit bound? Anyways, the last thing I would think about is the National Spelling Bee, but there's great wordplay in the title. 

When watching the documentary I can relate to Holcomb. Perryton, Texas is not as small as Holcomb used to be in the 1960's but has only 8,802 people. In relation to nowadays, that's like nobody. It's four times the amount of students at CNG. I swear I'd get so bored I'd start flipping tables or something. Moving on, in both bubble blanks, o podunks (yes Mr., I used your words!), people have very little to do, which often leads to children enrolling into activities like these. When the first child won, her school and many others celebrated with her. Wow, did those knows travel fast! This event shows that everyone knows other's business in these places. Aren't Perry and Dick intimidated by this, or are they careless about what people think of them? They already are margined and seen to be very lonely, except for each other's presence.

In my class we also discussed a song titled "In The Garden." It's a Christian song. What I find interesting is that Capote just placed some lyrics in a random place, but in the next chapter he disguised them. Why would he do this? Who is the audience? Had I not researched the lyrics, I might never have realized this! This also implies these forgotten places are religious. Who'd have known

No comments:

Post a Comment