Thursday, September 13, 2012

Diction(ary)

As I read The Burn Journals I noticed changes in Brent's writing. Ever since I began reading the book he has shown many intimate details in terms of his sexuality and feelings towards women. I feel awkward when I read those passages, like if I were invading some guy's mind because what he says is exactly how I picture any male's thoughts to be. It's a memoir, that's exactly what I am doing. 

As he writes on, Brent deems the reader even more trustworthy. He also begins to become aggressive towards his surroundings, specially the psychologists. The intensity of his words and thoughts actually scares me. I think a child who thinks of suicide, curses all the time, and thinks of sex most of it is a time bomb. He increased the use of informal words, thus there is very familiar register. 

I consider Brent's excessive cursing part of a more intimate relationship with the reader. One doesn't just talk about "Dr. Prickhead" and "Dr. Dickhead" (pg. 190) in front of some unknown person. There has to be reliance to avoid any judging. Now I feel the text began in a restrained matter but has now blossomed to allow the reader to learn Brent's most intimate secrets.  

No comments:

Post a Comment