Friday, September 7, 2012

Crybabying Around

I say, "I'm trying, but it's hard," and my voice sounds really whiny and babyish. (pg. 86)


Brent's word choice shaped the imagery in my head. After two months in the Burn Unit, Brent must learn to walk again. He is like a newborn baby who must learn how to walk, and the words the author used really helped achieve a clearer image in my head.

Words like these also helped me determine which this part´s tone. Even though tone is everchanging throughout the story, in this piece Brent´s tone is one of irritation with his inability to walk, thus negative. When he finally is able to, his tone turns into an optimistic one. The memoir has constant changes in tone.

Other than that, as I read it pained me when Brent's self-acceptance turned into feelings of hate. He "realized [he] was such a monster." Aunt Gayle's foolishness of bringing a small child, a person slightly aware of the social construct, to see a sick person. One can be certain they will act or speak in an inappropriate manner. Even without meaning to, Amara made Brent feel like an abomination, which could have been avoided.




No comments:

Post a Comment