Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Hearse of Language

Since the exam is so close right now, I unintentionally pay more attention to literary figures and new vocabulary. For example, of page 38 I found a weird oxymoron:

"Again Guitar spoke up. 'You his daddy's sister?'"

"The only one he got. Ain't but three Deads alive."

Since Dead is a last name I'm not sure if it still counts but included it anyways.

In terms of new vocabulary, I found the word "hearse" in the following context:

"Other than the bright and roving eyes of Magdalene called Lena and First Corinthians, the Packard had no real lived life at all. So they called it Macon Dead's hearse."

Only from context I infer it is obviously a negative word. I don't know why I relate with the word "burden." Anyways, I'm super wrong. A hearse is a vehicle for conveying the coffin at a funeral. And what a vehicle. Woopsies!

Lastly, Pilate's granddaughter, Hagar, has quite a name. She is quite humble and doesn't have much, thus her name reminds me of the word haggard. The latter means "looking exhausted and unwell." Who knows, Hagar might be a portmanteau of the terms haggard and beggar! Both the meaning and spelling fit. I then read on and the Milkman's description of Hagar is so pleasant I now doubt the meaning I gave to the name. With more context things will clear up.

1 comment:

  1. I found it interesting to observe how you decided to try to decipher the meaning of the difficult words in terms of the contxt given. This is a very useful technique since you can actually aquire the meaning Morrison wants you to get. Also, it is important to highlight that Morrison describes certain situations in a very peculiar way, which makes some of her descriptions a Little strange to us since we are not used to them. I believe that not only will the characters begin to clear up as the story goes on, but the plot itself will develop in a way that will make things less obscure to us.

    ReplyDelete