Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Commas Save Lives

"Dangling modifier." Ever sice I wrote my research paper on portmanteau words I pay more attention to the parts that compose a term, their dennotation, and connotation. "Dangling" has a vague connotation and to modifiy is to change. My wild guess would be that a dangling modifier causes a slight and vague change.

-------------------------------------------------

 I must accept I expected the article to just explain what a dangling modifier is. But, being AP Lang, nothing goes straight to the point. From what I understood, a dangling modifier is related to the inclusion of an extra phrase which modifies the meaning of what's being said in a not-so vague way. I did have to Google it. I believe the wrong use of commas is also part of the problem because:
 
COMMAS SAVE LIVES!
 
 
  

1 comment:

  1. I too thought that the article was going to only be about dangling modifiers, but it was just one small section. The article then kept showing examples of other grammatical errors writers made. I will admit, I also had to google what it meant just to be completely sure. And it's true, commas may be one of the most important things in writing.

    ReplyDelete