Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Craving Reality

As I read Chapter G, titled Blur, fragment 188 caught my attention. The person speaking says he likes "to write stuff that's only an inch from life."From this we can infer that his writing is not life, therefore, is a lie. I agree with this and it takes me back to a fragment we read in class today.

"Memory: the past rewritten in the direction of feeling." 

It makes no sense to think one can without your feelings clouding over.

And since I didn't agree with or understand the excerpts from Chapter H, I can only disagree with fragment 243. The writer says we are overwhelmed with information. True. He then writes about the real overwhelming the fictional, which I believe is false. I feel people are so unsatisfied with their lives, what they own, themselves. Most don't live in the present but, instead, embark in an insane adventure of thoughts, feelings, and dreams in search of their private utopia. 

Moving on. Chapter I contains fragments on the reality-based community. Fragment 254 seems most interesting. It says Obama won the election purely by appearing "real": using his Blackberry and playing basketball. He appealed to the masses and succeeded. This is the smartest move a politician can make. Obama portrayed himself as so real people related and became sympathetic. Sometimes, being a lie can be beneficial.


1 comment:

  1. When you talk abou fragment 254 in chapter I, I cant agree completely. In one part you are right when you say that for Obama it was beneficial being "real" because he appealed to the masses. But I don't agree with your last sentence, "Sometimes, being a lie can be beneficial." I don't necessarily agree with this because, how do you know he is a lie? How do you know he doesn't do all this things genuinely? I do agree with Shields fragment, I don't necessarily agree with your interpretation. Yes Obama was using ethos to appeal to the masses, but saying he is a lie is an assumption that shouldn't be made. After all you said that in this chapter there was "fragments in the reality-based community."

    ReplyDelete