Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Don't Matter if You're Black or White

The Carolinas were actually some of the states with a largest slave population. Even if people attempted to stunt their cultural growth, there was still an exchange. Other than language, African culture is stronger than common white one, though they would never accept they received these influences.

And in terms of Mr. MurderingCow's question,

 you may understand them easily when the speak but go ahead and turn the volume down. Then you'll be in trouble. I once tried to read Uncle Tom's Cabin. I said tried because on page 37 I was already tired of having to read everything more than once. This is a random example I just found on page 43:

"My sakes alive, if it ain't Lizy! Get on your clothes old man, quick! - There's Old Bruno, too, a pawning' round: what on airth! I'm gwine to open the door."

If you didn't understand the first time, I'll tell you this. I bet half of the things we read today in class are in these sentences. Beecher Stone writes earth as airth. Then, spells gonna or going to as gwine. She writes like it would sound. I believe English shouldn't be like this. It reminds me of how Shakespeare used to write dialogue in a certain way depending on the character. For Aunt Chloe's master, Beecher Stone writes in the following way: "Poor fellow, poor boy! They have sold you! but your mother will save you yet!" Well, that's VERY different, is it not?

Another different thing is mass. Just like the documentary shows, preaching is very important for Black culture. So is music. I attended to gospel they took faith to a whole new level. It was all but monotonous. This is an example:


And a fun one if I will. Over and out.

MacNeil, Robert, William Cran, and Robert McCrum. "Black on White." The Story of English. BBC. 1986. Television. Transcript.

No comments:

Post a Comment