Saturday, January 19, 2013

On Wednesdays We Wear Pink

"Americans and Canadians haven't fought since the War of 1812." (7:25)

I've actually never heard of Canadians fighting. If countries were people, America would be the popular girl everyone wants to be but who engages fights with other girls who start becoming attractive. In Mean Girls, she's probably be Regina George with her murderous stares. Few mess with Regina George. 


Canada could be part of the hippie bunch who are awkward, think green, and love peace:



Funny how before I watched this documentary, I had never considered English had more types other than American and "British" English. I didn't even consider Australia or Canada not that I think about it. But I aye consider pirate English t' best o' these dialects. Reminds me o' SpongeBob. And these dialects are very similar to the way sailors spoke. Modern sailors probably changed the way they speak but still are fond of certain words.

The funny thing is, any phrase that survives these changing times is considered cliché. For example, an eager beaver? C´mon. Having a good business means you own a "gold mine." Takes me back to APUSH and the Gold Rush! Not that I am excited of reviewing these topics (I failed with a 2). I hadn't thought about the influences of Spanish on English. Cowboy words like rodeo, corral, and sombrero stand out. This connection also works the other way around. I always doubt whether its roundpoint or ronvoy. My doubt is 100% valid since few refer to this paved roundabout with its real name, glorieta. 



MacNeil, Robert, William Cran, and Robert McCrum. "Pioneers, O Pioneers!" The Story of English. BBC. 1986. Television. Transcript.

No comments:

Post a Comment