Monday, November 26, 2012

In Capote Blood

In Cold Blood. Even before I began discussing the book I already expected murder to be part of it. Surprisingly, I had read the first excerpt and never suspected murder to be part of it! The whole text is cause and effect, but so are small pieces of it. Hard to believe the book is the result of combining various essays, all of them following the pattern of cause and effect. For example, it took Capote eight pages to introduce the first person who will die. Six to go!

This is a clear example of the author's style. He could just have said, Herbert Clutter is one of the six people who will die, but no, his style is much more complicated (or elaborate) than that.

As soon as Capote introduces the five hunters from Ohio, he talks about Clutter dying. I'm sure their mysterious appearance is relevant. I'm also sure Capote has nerve. Nowadays, I'd think twice or even three times, before allowing strangers into my land (or home). Crazy people back then. Sincerely, I like how trust was gained. Today one can't even trust siblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment