Monday, November 5, 2012

Enigma Paradigma

Ok, so it has been hard to write this blogpost. I unintentionally left it for the last moment, but my nerdiness forced me not to procrastinate any longer. 

I know that an enthymeme uses commonplaces to convince the audience to make a given choice. The book give an example on page 125:

Babes go for Priapic owners.
You should buy a Priapic.

In other words, if you want babes spend lots of money on a Priapic. Seems simple doesn't it? Well, I spent like 10 minutes trying to write my own and this is what I came up with:

Concise blogposts are best and get high grades. (Proof or premise)
I'll get a high grade. (Conclusion)

Haha, see what I did there? 

My enthymeme falls under deductive logic, which starts with a premise (commonplace) and then applies to my specific case to reach a conclusion. Here goes another one:

The Weasleys are alive and well. (Example)
So, all gingers have a soul. (General fact)

I know, this one was a bad example of inductive logic. These types of enthymemes take "specific cases and [use] them to prove a premise or conclusion." (125)

I read the whole chapter and didn't find "paradigm." As I think of my cozy bed I give you this sort of mediocre definition of the word, the Internet's one:

A paradigm is a typical example or pattern of something; a model.

I still don't understand the context of this word in Thank You For Arguing, but I'll go sleep because:

To have a good day people need 8 hours of sleep.
I'll have a good day.

YOLO

Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment