Sunday, October 28, 2012

"Controlling the Mood" Is In Da Hood

Now talking about pathetic, sympathetic, and empathy, pathos comes along. The chapter's introductory aphorism reminded me of APUSH. Back then, during the Great Awakening, preachers would give sermons with such fervor people were moved to tears. I wish I could move anybody to tears, even Mittens (my cat) would be satisfying. Between ethos, logos, and pathos, the last one would definitely need working on. I'm as sensible as baby skin. 

The text also showed me some interesting ideas. Emotion comes from experience and expectation. I might be wrong, but both of them relate to verb tenses.

Experience: what happened in the past. Thus, it is forensic but strangely doesn't mention blame.

Expectation: what will happen. Deliberative, but here there is no choice because the person expects whatever comes to him and has no choice.

Yes, I was wrong.

Anyways, the success of an argument which appeals to feelings is based solely on self-control. Ranting won't do the trick. Neither will name calling or having a fit. But under so much pressure to maintain composure in front of large groups, it's best to use simple words. Elaborating the speech will make everything look practiced. My only concern is that when one knows the person like a child knows his/her parents the speaker has enough knowledge to appeal on certain ways. What's the trick when one  has never spoken to the audience before? What should one do?

No comments:

Post a Comment