Saturday, May 18, 2013

Black Panther Party vs. Seven Days

So I'm so responsible I'm watching the movie "A Huey P. Newton Story." I'll be analyzing and commenting on it and will try to relate it with Song of Solomon. 

JK. I swear that I can't find a way to watch the movie online. I'll just read a summary on the plot. From what I've understood Huey P. Newton founded the Black Panther Party, a group with the objective of protecting African-American neighborhoods from police brutality. Right off I am reminded of Song of Solomon. Guitar is part of a society called the Seven Days. They murder a white person for every Black person killed. This way they keep the ratio equal. Both societies are groups of African-Americans who fight racism in their own way. 

I was finally able to watch the video! Newton says his party wants equality overall. This means having jobs, food, rights, etc. Sounds like unhealthy African-Americans in Song of Solomon are looking for this. They want to reach this ulterior goal. On the other hand, I don't see Macon trying to achieve these things. He is already satisfied with the material wealth he owns.

No comments:

Post a Comment